To receive a Texas Handgun License, the State requires each applicant to complete 4-6 hours of classroom training, pass a written test, and range qualification.
Advance enrollment required or $95 at the door.
- State Required Training Course
- Application / Forms
- Eye & Hearing Protection
- Photos are no longer required
$10 Discount for Military Veterans, Law Enforcement Officers, Fire Fighters, EMS, Paramedics, Those age 60+, School Teachers, and NRA Members! **Some exclusions apply.
The course fee does not include the State Licensing Fee. Those fees range anywhere from FREE to $140 for a four year license (based on conditions). Click here for more info on State fees.
Students do not need to apply with the State prior to attending the class, however it is highly recommended. All required forms will be available in class but using the Texas DPS Online Application will greatly reduce the amount of paperwork, allow for a more accurate means of collecting fingerprints, and may speed up the approval process.
The classroom portion will last 4-6 hours. It will be held in a safe, comfortable setting and will cover the following topics:
- State Required Topics
- Basic Firearms Safety
- Safe Handling and Storage
- Non-Violent Dispute Resolution
- Use of Force
- Civil and Criminal Liability (Texas Law Shield)
- Texas Concealed Handgun Laws
- Review and Testing
Students are encouraged to dress comfortably for the classroom portion. You will need a State issued photo ID and any CHL materials received from the State. No need to complete these forms prior to class, we’ll handle that before hitting the range.
NO AMMUNITION WILL BE ALLOWED IN THE CLASSROOM
Please leave your firearms and all ammunition secured in your vehicle. If you do not feel comfortable locking your firearm in your car, a safe storage option will be available in the classroom. Under NO circumstances, will ANY live ammunition be allowed in the classroom.
The 1-2 hour long Range portion will be conducted a short drive from the classroom and will cover:
- Range Safety
- Weapons Handling
- Live Fire Qualification
- Re-qualification (if necessary)
Students are expected to be familiar with their pistol and know how to operate it safely. Accommodations can be made for students needing additional instruction, assistance, or encouragement. Every effort will be made to provide a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable shooting experience for all.
Each Student will need the following items in order to complete the live fire portion of training:
- Footwear that covers the entire foot
- A shirt with a conservative neckline, to protect against hot brass (hat optional)
- Handgun: Revolver (minimum .32 caliber) or Semi-Auto (minimum .380)
- Handgun must be transported in a case or bag and should be in safe working order
- No optical enhancers or lasers will be allowed
- It no longer matters what type of handgun is used to qualifying. You will be licensed to carry semi-auto or revolver.
- One empty magazine required for semi-autos
- Holsters are optional
- Minimum 50 rounds required for testing (additional may be required for re-test)
- Brass case ammo might be required by certain ranges.
No Gun? No Problem!
Loaner guns are available for $30 (includes 50+ rounds of ammo).
Build Your Own Class
If you, your friends, or coworkers would like to put together a class, please let me know. I’ll accommodate your private group and customize the training and location to fit your needs. You can even host the classroom portion in your home or office. Minimum class size is 6 people. I can help you fill the class and will even discount your training for recruiting more than seven people.
Private Lessons Available
If you just don’t feel comfortable shooting in a crowd or would like some pre-class training, just let me know. I’ll be happy to meet with you to build your confidence and shooting skills so you look like a pro on Qualification Day!
Any other questions?
Just send me an email.